Oral Surgery Post Operative Instruction
- Following the procedure, you should avoid chewing for 2 hours, or until the numbness from the anaesthetic has completely worn off. Once the numbness has worn off, limit your diet to soft foods like yogurt, soft soups, ice cream or jello for the fist 48 hours.
- Relax as much as possible and avoid all strenuous activities for the first 24 hours following surgery.
- Do not rinse your mouth the day of the surgery.
- Twenty – four hours following the procedure, you can rinse greatly with diluted mouthwash or a warm salt-water solution (dissolve 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 cup of warm water); gently swish the solution around the affected area and spit carefully. You should do this 2 – 3 times each day for the week following extraction.
- We will give a supply of gauze sponges to place over the bleeding area. Change the gauze sponge as necessary, and use them until the bleeding stops completely. If the bleeding persists or increases be sure to contact our office.
- Be sure to brush and floss the other areas of your mouth as you would normally.
- The space left by the tooth will feel a bit strange to you at first. Eventually, new bone and gum tissue will grow the gap left by the extraction.
- Some discomfort after the extraction is normal. As over-the-counter pain reliever, such as Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen is usually sufficient. We can also give you a prescription for a stronger pain reliever if needed.
- If antibiotics were prescribed, continues to take them for the indicated length of time, even if all symptoms and signs are gone.
- A blood clot will form on the extraction site, and this clot is vital to the healing process. To keep the blood clot intact, avoid the following:
Touching the extraction site with your tongue of fingers
Blowing your nose or sneezing violently
Drinking liquids through a straw
Smoking and tobacco use
Alcohol and alcohol products
Allowing food products to pack into the tooth’s socket
A follow- up appointment with your dentist should be made 7-10 days after the surgery to check the healing process. Please call 633-9538 if you have any questions.